Child Care and Camps

The Office of Early Childhood (OEC) makes it easy for parents to find high-quality child care and camps. Learn about your options — and programs that may help pay some of the costs. 

Looking for high-quality child care or camps for your children?
We can help! Dial 2-1-1 or visit 2-1-1 child care.

Find child care

High-quality child care is essential. It gives parents confidence to know that experts are taking care of their children. And it offers children a chance to build their skills, grow, and develop with trained educators in a safe environment. 

We always recommend TLC — trusted licensed care. When child care is licensed by OEC, you’ll know your child is in safe hands.

Three reasons to choose licensed child care

1. Safety. We inspect licensed child care providers to make sure they’re safe and healthy places to learn. We require that licensed providers get background checks and health check-ups, too.

2. High-quality care. Licensed providers and staff have to meet training requirements, including First Aid. We also have limits on the number of children in a licensed child care at one time, so you’ll know your child is getting the attention they deserve.

3. Support. If you have a problem with a licensed child care program, you can always call OEC to get help or file a complaint.

To find out about licensed child care providers near you, just dial 2-1-1 or visit 2-1-1 Child Care.

What are my options? 

In Connecticut, there are a few different types of licensed child care:

  • Family child care homes. These are child care programs that a person opens in their home. They’re usually smaller and may have up to 6 to 9 children.
  • Child care centers. These are bigger child care programs, like day care centers or after-school programs. They may have more than 12 children. 
  • Group child care homes. These are less common, and they might be in someone’s home or in a building like a school. They may have up to 12 children.

There are also some child care programs that, by law, don’t need to have a license, like some programs run by schools. These programs don’t need to follow the health and safety standards required of licensed programs.

How do I choose? 

The best thing is to figure out what you and your child need. Some things to consider about a possible child care program:

  • What are their hours?
  • How far are they from your home or work? 
  • How much do they cost? 
  • Does your child have any special needs?

Once you have a sense of what you need, take a look at your choices.

Check out these handouts to get more tips on finding the right child care provider:

Having a problem with a child care provider or program?

Find out how to file a complaint.

Find summer camps

Licensed summer camps offer your kids a safe place to play and make new discoveries.

Learn what’s available in your area. Just dial 2-1-1 or visit 2-1-1 Child Care to search for local summer camps. 

Find out if the camp is licensed. If it is, you can be confident that it’s been inspected by OEC. We make sure that licensed camps are safe places to learn and grow. And we make sure that staff have the training they need. To find out if a camp is licensed, dial 2-1-1 or search for it under “Youth Camps” on the License Lookup site.

Want tips on finding the right camp for your child? Get help from the Connecticut Camping Association. 

Get your child ready for camp. Check out these tips from the American Camp Association.

Have a complaint about a summer camp? Find out how to file a complaint page.

Learn about financial help

If you need help covering the costs of child care or camps in Connecticut, here are some programs and organizations that can help.

Contact 2-1-1 Child Care. They can help you learn about about no- or low-cost options for child care. Some child care programs get support that allows them to offer spots for free. Others may have open spots at a lower cost, based on your family income. Just dial 2-1-1 or visit 2-1-1 Child Care.

Learn about Care 4 Kids. Care 4 Kids helps working families with low incomes pay for child care. Visit the Care 4 Kids site or call 888-214-KIDS (5437) to find out more. You can also use their online tool to see if your family meets the income requirements.

Look into a Head Start Program. These programs offer free child care and family support to low income families with children age 5 and younger. Call 866-763-6481 or use the Head Start locator to find contact information for a Head Start program near you. 

Call your local public school system. Many public schools offer free part-time preschool, special education programs, and before- and after-school programs. Call the school district where you live to find out more.

Last updated January 15, 2020