Get Help with Developmental Delays

Some children have developmental delays and need extra help as they grow. Developmental delays can include problems with:

  • Talking and using words
  • Crawling and walking
  • Grabbing and holding things

Remember: Children develop at different rates. You don’t need to worry just because your neighbor’s kid started crawling or talking a little before yours did.

But if you notice any signs that worry you, take action. Trust your instincts — as a parent, you know your child best. The good news is there are lots of ways to help children with developmental delays.

Get help during COVID-19

We have the information you need — guidance on finding child care, tools to support learning at home, tips on accessing financial support, and answers to key questions. See our COVID-19 resources for families.  

Concerned your child may have a developmental delay?

Contact the Child Development Infoline

Talk about your concerns and learn about resources that can help. Make sure to ask about OEC’s Birth to Three program, which helps children with developmental delays. Call the Child Development Infoline at 800-505-7000.

Talk to you child’s doctor

Before you do, get tips from the CDC about how to talk to doctors about developmental delays

Look into the Ages and Stages Program

This free program will help you understand your child’s development and — if you need it — help you find support. Learn more by calling Help Me Grow at the Child Development Infoline at 800-505-7000. You can also complete the Ages and Stages screening assessment online

Find support for your family

If your child has a developmental delay or disability, Connecticut has lots of programs and organizations that can help.

Contact Birth to Three

Connecticut’s Birth to Three System was built to help all families who have children age 3 and younger with developmental disabilities or delays. Birth to Three can: 

  • Check your child’s development
  • Look for signs of autism (if they’re 16 months or older)
  • Create a personalized education plan for your child 
  • Connect you with experts who can meet with your child at home or at their child care program

Many of these services are free or low-cost, depending on your income. Learn more on the Birth to Three website.

Look into preschool special education services

Schools in Connecticut offer free or low-cost special education for children ages 3 and 4 who have delays or disabilities. Connecticut’s Child Development Infoline can tell you about what’s offered in your community. Call the Child Development Infoline at 800-505-7000. 

Contact the Connecticut Parent Advocacy Center (CPAC)

CPAC is dedicated to children with disabilities and chronic health problems. Experts at CPAC help parents advocate for their children, so their kids can learn to their full potential. CPAC also has information about the laws that protect children with disabilities, like IDEA (Individuals with Disabilities Education Act). Find out how CPAC can help your family.

Last updated March 9, 2021